Adult Volunteer Program
Volunteering at Zoo Atlanta is a great way to learn about conservation issues, get to know others who share your passion for wildlife, give back to our community, or just have fun! We seek applicants who can work independently, are comfortable in a fast-paced environment, understand the role accredited zoos play in wildlife conservation, and can effectively communicate Zoo Atlanta’s mission to our visitors.
Our Adult Volunteer Program is designed for those interested in a longer-term commitment. Adult Volunteers serve largely in Education and Guest Experience roles. Volunteers greet guests as they enter the Zoo; facilitate personal connections to the goats and sheep in the petting zoo; assist with guest flow at our giraffe feeding experience and at the train depot; and facilitate educational activities. Advanced training is available for those interested in offering Docent Interpretation at habitats around the Zoo. Adult Volunteers may also assist with our many events throughout the year.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, behind-the-scenes opportunities are very limited and typically require a weekly commitment. Behind-the-scenes opportunities currently accepting new Volunteers include our Horticulture Team.
We have two programs available: the Event Volunteer Program and the Adult Volunteer Program. For both programs, Volunteers must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and no longer a high school student
- Pass a background check
ADULT VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
- Adult Volunteers must commit to six months of Volunteer service to include at least four service hours per month.
- Accepted candidates must pay a $30 orientation fee to defray the cost of a name badge, uniform shirt, and background check.
- Adult Volunteers must maintain a current Zoo Atlanta Membership, which is discounted for Volunteers. Scholarships are available for those for whom this presents a financial burden.
ADULT VOLUNTEER BENEFITS
- Opportunity to advance Zoo Atlanta’s mission and contribute to conservation
- Continuing education opportunities
- Opportunity to meet and build relationships with fellow Volunteers and staff
- Discount on Zoo Atlanta Membership
- Discount at Zoo Atlanta gift shops
- Discount at permanent food outlets during Volunteer shifts
- Interested candidates must complete an online application, linked below.
- Online applications are screened for completeness and apparent support of Zoo Atlanta’s mission.
- Applicants accepted into the Adult Volunteer Program will be invited to complete a required online orientation, followed by an in-person training. Training dates and times will be provided upon final acceptance into the program and are offered approximately once a month.