Adult Volunteer: Zoo Crew Program
Volunteering at Zoo Atlanta is a great way to learn about conservation issues, get to know others who share your passion for wildlife, give back to our community, or just have fun!
We seek applicants who can work independently, are comfortable in a fast-paced environment, understand the role accredited zoos play in wildlife conservation, and can effectively communicate Zoo Atlanta’s mission to our visitors.
WHICH PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR ME?
We have three volunteer programs available for adults: the Education Volunteer Program, the Zoo Crew Program, and the Event Volunteer Program. Each includes different service opportunities and requirements.
- The Education Volunteer Program requires a commitment of 50 service hours per year. Volunteers focus on interacting with guests through facilitating educational experiences.
- The Zoo Crew Program requires a commitment of 50 service hours per year. Volunteers focus on supporting facilities, operations, and animal care.
- The Event Volunteer Program requires a commitment of 3 events per year. Volunteers assist with daytime and evening events throughout the year.
Our Zoo Crew Program is focused on service opportunities that support our facilities, operations, and animal care teams. These opportunities tend to involve less interaction with guests. The program is designed for those interested in a longer-term commitment.
Zoo Crew Volunteers can:
- Assist in the Petting Zoo, facilitating guest interactions with the goats and sheep and helping to keep the area clean;
- Volunteer with our Horticulture Team;
- Volunteer with our Maintenance Team;
- Create enrichment items for the animals;
- Assist our animal care teams as Husbandry Aides (typically requires a weekly commitment).
- Be at least 18 years of age and no longer a high school student.
- Commit to six months of Volunteer service to include at least four service hours per month.
- Pay a $30 orientation fee to defray the cost of a name badge, uniform shirt, and background check.
ZOO CREW VOLUNTEER BENEFITS
- Opportunity to advance Zoo Atlanta’s mission and contribute to conservation
- Continuing education opportunities
- Opportunity to meet and build relationships with fellow Volunteers and staff
- Discount on Zoo Atlanta Membership
- Discount at Zoo Atlanta gift shops
- Discount at permanent food outlets during Volunteer shifts
- Complete an online application, linked above. Online applications are screened for completeness and apparent support of Zoo Atlanta’s mission.
- Accepted applicants must complete an online orientation, followed by an in-person training. Training dates and times will be provided upon final acceptance into the program and are offered approximately every two months.