The Volunteen Program promotes the personal and professional development of teenagers so that they become leaders in animal science and conservation education.
There are three parts to the Volunteen application:
- Online application form
- Essay written by teen applicant
- Recommendation Form
Each part must be completed and submitted by 5 p.m. on January 31, 2023. Please read the instructions and requirements carefully before applying. Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be considered.
Application Instructions (Download PDF)
The Volunteen Program is designed for high school students ages 14 to 17. Volunteens work toward a minimum of 160 service hours over the course of the program year, with specific hour requirements during each of the three terms. This is a year-round program. Through their participation, Volunteens will develop advocacy for themselves and others, empathy for the world around them, and commitment, leadership, and customer service skills. They will also learn in-depth information about animal species, care, and conservation.
Our program runs June 1 through the following May 31 each year.
14-17 years old
- Applications will open at 9 a.m. on January 1, 2023, and will close at 5 p.m. on January 31, 2023. All portions of the application must be complete by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
VOLUNTEEN PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants must complete all application steps to be considered for the program.
- To be eligible for the program, Volunteens must be 14 to 17 years old by June 1, 2023, and be enrolled in high school (or equivalent program) for the 2023 – 2024 school year.
- Volunteens must commit to:
- 100 service hours in the summer semester (June 1 – August 31)
- 30 hours in the fall (September 1 – December 31), and
- 30 hours in the spring (January 1 – May 31).
- Volunteens pay a $30 orientation fee to cover a name badge, uniform T-shirt and access card. Scholarships are available for qualified applicants.
- All Volunteens must have a current TB test on file for each year of active service by June 1.
- All accepted new Volunteens are required to attend one orientation date with a parent.
- The 2023-2024 program year begins June 1, 2023. Training Week, which is required for all Volunteens, will be June 5 through June 9, 2023. All five days are required, and make-up days will not be offered.
If you have any questions about the Volunteen program, please reach out to the Supervisor of Youth Volunteers at email@example.com.
Connect With Your Wild Side #onlyzooatl