The Volunteen Program is designed for youth ages 14-17 and practices an experiential learning model focusing on development of leadership, interpersonal and professional skills while fostering responsibility, guest service and commitment.
New Volunteens interact with guests by introducing conservation topics and sharing the stories of our animals at specific animal habitats. Over the course of their first year, Volunteens will also have opportunities to become involved in areas such as Safari Day Camp, Horticulture, and a number of special events. Once their level of commitment and responsibility has been demonstrated in the program, Volunteens will have the opportunity to work alongside Zoo staff performing animal care and husbandry.
Once their level of commitment and responsibility has been demonstrated in the program, Volunteens may have the opportunity to work alongside Zoo staff performing animal care and husbandry.
This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, and from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation. This program is a serious time commitment and Volunteens are expected to make this program a top priority during the year.
The deadline for the 2017-2018 year has passed and applications are no longer being accepted. Please apply next year for the 2018-2019 year! Applications will become available January 2018. In the meantime, we welcome you to “Like” us on Facebook and visit the zoo to learn more about our Volunteen Program.
June 1, 2017
14-17 years old
- Must be 14-17 years old by June 1, 2017
- Be truly interested in making Volunteening a number one extracurricular activity of the year.
- This program requires a one-year commitment.
- Be willing to take a Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type). If selected, he/she must submit a negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type) by June 1, 2017.
- Attend one Orientation Session with a parent or guardian, April 30 or May 6.
- Attend all five days of the mandatory training, June 5-9 (no makeup training will be offered).
- Wear appropriate attire at all times, which includes khaki bottoms, closed-toed shoes, the provided Volunteen T-shirt, and name badge.
- Teens are expected to have:
◦ 100 hours completed during the summer term – June 1 to August 31, 2017
◦ 30 hours completed during the fall term – September 1 to December 31, 2017
◦ 30 hours completed during the spring term – January 1 to May 31, 2018.
- Pay an Orientation Fee of $30. This fee provides the Volunteen with a T-shirt, name badge and water bottle, and will help to defray orientation and training costs.
Important dates for 2017 – 2018
- Orientation for Teens and Parents – April 30 or May 6, 2017
- Training Dates – June 5-9, 2017