The Volunteen Program promotes the personal and professional development of teenagers so that they become leaders in animal science and conservation education.
The Volunteen Program is designed for high school students ages 14 to 17. It is an opportunity for teenagers to have fun volunteering at the Zoo while learning about the environment, wildlife conservation, community engagement, and professionalism. Through this program, Volunteens will learn communication and customer service skills, as well as develop their independence and responsibility. Volunteens serve in a wide variety of service areas to help prepare them to pursue careers in the zoological field.
Volunteens work toward a minimum of 160 service hours over the course of a program year. To learn more about the many experiences Volunteens have as part of the program, please click here.
Our program runs June 1 through the following May 31 each year.
Thank you for your interest in the Volunteen Program. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to accept new participants to our program. As we continue to adjust to the COVID-19 pandemic, we must be considerate of what program capacities are and what assignments are available at this time. We plan to re-open applications to this program in the future once we are able to ensure that we can run the program in a way that is mutually beneficial to Zoo Atlanta and the program participants.
We appreciate your interest in our Volunteer Programs and hope you will check back with us closer to fall 2021 for updates to the programs.
14-17 years old
VOLUNTEEN PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants must complete all application steps to be considered for the program.
- To be eligible for the program, Volunteens must be 14 to 17 years old by June 1 and be enrolled in high school (or equivalent program).
- Volunteens must commit to:
- 100 service hours in the summer semester (June 1 – August 31)
- 30 hours in the fall (September 1 – December 31), and
- 30 hours in the spring (January 1 – May 31).
- Volunteens pay a $30 orientation fee to cover a name badge, uniform T-shirt and access card. Scholarships are available for qualified applicants.
- All Volunteens must have a current TB test on file for each year of active service by June 1.
- All accepted new Volunteens are required to attend one orientation date with a parent.
- All Volunteens are required to complete online training prior to June 1, and then attend a week-long “The Zoo and You” training at the start of the summer semester. Each day is required, and makeup trainings are not offered. Failure to complete any portion of training will result in loss of position in the program.