The Volunteen Program is designed for youth ages 14-17 and practices an experiential learning model focusing on development of leadership, interpersonal and professional skills while fostering responsibility, guest service and commitment.
New Volunteens interact with guests by introducing conservation topics and sharing the stories of our animals at specific animal habitats. Over the course of their first year, Volunteens will also have opportunities to become involved in areas such as Safari Day Camp, Horticulture, and a number of special events. Once their level of commitment and responsibility has been demonstrated in the program, Volunteens will have the opportunity to work alongside Zoo staff performing animal care and husbandry.
This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, and from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation.
We welcome your applications for this year! See below for the 2017-2018 application instructions. Applications for the 2017-2018 program year will be due March 3, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
One (1) of your science teachers who knows you best should complete the Science Teacher Recommendation Form 2017. If you are enrolled in homeschool, a parent can complete this form if he or she is your science teacher. To be considered, DO NOT have a teacher of any other subject fill out this form. You or your teacher can mail, fax, or email this form to the Volunteen Supervisor.
In addition, submit one (1) letter written by an adult that knows you well and is NOT a family member and is NOT one of your teachers. Examples of potential recommenders include coaches, family friends, religious leaders, employers, extracurricular activity leaders or others! A Letter of Recommendation must be in letter form (NOT the Science Teacher Reference Form).
You may also use the Volunteen Application Checklist 2017 to ensure you have submitted all required materials. You are not required to submit the checklist with your application. You will receive an email confirming your application is complete when all materials have been received (please allow a few days after submitting your materials for your application to be processed).
These documents must be postmarked by March 3, 2017, at 5 p.m. in order for the application to be considered. They may be sent to:
800 Cherokee Avenue SE
Atlanta, GA 30315-1440
- Must be 14-17 years old by June 1, 2017
- Be truly interested in making Volunteening a number one extracurricular activity of the year.
- This program requires a one-year commitment.
- Be willing to take a Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type). If selected, he/she must submit a negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type) by June 1, 2017.
- Attend one Orientation Session with a parent or guardian, April 30 or May 6.
- Attend all five days of the mandatory training, June 5-9 (no makeup training will be offered).
- Wear appropriate attire at all times, which includes khaki bottoms, closed-toed shoes, the provided Volunteen T-shirt, and name badge.
- Teens are expected to have:
◦ 100 hours completed during the summer term – June 1 to August 31, 2017
◦ 30 hours completed during the fall term – September 1 to December 31, 2017
◦ 30 hours completed during the spring term – January 1 to May 31, 2018.
- Pay an Orientation Fee of $30. This fee provides the Volunteen with a T-shirt, name badge and water bottle, and will help to defray orientation and training costs.
Important dates for 2017 – 2018
- Program Year Interest Panel for Potential Volunteens – February 9, 2017
- Application Due – March 3, 2017 by 5 p.m.
- Interview Dates for Selected Applicants – March 11 or 19, 2017
- Orientation for Teens and Parents – April 30 or May 6, 2017
- Training Dates – June 5-9, 2017
Volunteen Interest Panel
February 9, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
We are now offering a preview night for potential Volunteens and their parents! We invite you to Zoo Atlanta to learn more about the program, ask questions, and meet current Volunteens! You must bring a parent and RSVP to attend the panel. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to RSVP.
14-17 years old
June 1, 2017