Zoo Atlanta agrees to provide interns: Skills, training and support materials needed for designated service area; opportunities to develop personal connections to professionals in your field of interest; hands-on experience that will look great on your résumé; opportunities to develop new skills and make new friends; a chance to make a difference for endangered species and conservation issues; and a fun and meaningful environment.
Internships at Zoo Atlanta are designed to provide training and professional work experience that will help you achieve your academic and professional goals. Intern positions are unpaid and open to applicants enrolled in a degree-seeking program or who have recently graduated within two years from a college program in a field relevant to the internship being applied for.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to contact all applicants. Please note that determinations are based on qualifications and aligned with departmental needs. Thank you for your interest.
2024 Intern Term Schedule
- Spring Term:
- Applications due Wednesday, November 1
- Determination letters sent by Friday, December 1
- Term: January 8 – April 30
- Summer Term:
- Applications due Friday, March 1
- Determination letters sent by Friday, March 29 Term: May 6 – August 1 or May 28 – August 31
- Fall Term:
- Applications due Wednesday June 19
- Determination letters sent by Friday, July 26
- Term: August 27 – December 20
Mandatory Intern Orientation will take place on the first day of the term from 10 a.m. to Noon. Interns must pass a background check and present a negative TB test.
Once you have applied for the position you are interested in, including submission of the requested materials, you will be contacted to set up an individual interview if you meet the qualifications and there is intern placement availability.
- Must be 18 years old and no longer in high school
- Must be able to commit to full semester
- Hours for each opportunity vary and will not exceed 40 hours a week.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must present a negative TB test – if serving in an animal department.
- Zoo Atlanta interns agree to abide by the rules and regulations of Zoo Atlanta, your service area, and those set forth in the Internship Handbook (a handbook will be provided to you prior to your first day).
- Attend designated training and continuing education classes for your service area.
- Report on time for scheduled events/service areas.
- Notify the Manager of Volunteer Programs, via email, of any change in internship status.
- Zoo Atlanta interns are responsible for their own housing for the duration of their internship.