A season to be green
‘Tis the season to reflect on all you have been given this past year and celebrate those gifts with your family and friends. Here at Zoo Atlanta, we are also celebrating a great 2018! The Zoo Atlanta family celebrates the holidays in many ways each year, from holiday gatherings for our team members, to volunteer days at local organizations such as the Atlanta Humane Society. The Zoo’s animal ambassadors are also celebrating the holidays with unique, engaging enrichment.
One of Zoo Atlanta’s values is to strive to be as sustainable or green as possible. The Zoo invites you to join us in these efforts as you plan, shop and decorate for your own holidays. Consider going a bit greener this year by trying some of these simple steps.
- Think about recyclable decorating materials such as pine cones or real evergreen wreaths and swags.
- Don’t forget that using energy-efficient lights and electronic timers to decorate will use less energy (good for the planet) and save you some green (in your wallet).
- Shop local for your gifts and avoid items that must be shipped long distances; this supports local economies while also reducing your carbon footprint.
- Give the gift of a memorable experience. You can give a year of memories with a Membership to Zoo Atlanta or another local non-for-profit organization. As a Member of Zoo Atlanta, you gain the benefits of unlimited admission, invitations to special Member events and on-grounds discounts.
- When wrapping your gifts, try recycled materials such as brown paper bags or reusable containers.
- Recycle or donate your old items. Perhaps you will get or give a new cell phone for the holidays. Bring your old phone to Zoo Atlanta, and we will recycle it as part of our Call 4 Gorillas program and turn that donation into funds to support the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International’s work to save gorillas in Africa.
These are just a few of the ways in which you can green your holiday season. To learn more about how you can go green, click here. No matter how you celebrate, we wish you the happiest of holiday seasons and a spectacular New Year! We look forward to seeing you at the Zoo in 2019!