Call 4 Gorillas
Zoo Atlanta and The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International are working together with Eco-Cell to recycle cell phones, help the environment, and raise money for gorilla conservation.
ANY kind of cell phone will be accepted – even the big, heavy ones from 15 years ago that wouldn’t come close to fitting in your pocket now. For each cell phone received, a donation will be made to The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International, Zoo Atlanta’s partner in gorilla conservation.
Here’s the full list of accepted items.
Why it’s important
A critical component of cell phones and other small electronics is a substance called coltan. One of the few places in the world where coltan is found is the forests of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo—right in the middle of gorilla habitat. As a result of mining for coltan, critical habitat has been destroyed and gorillas have been displaced or even killed by poachers.
How you can help
By recycling your phone with us, you will be helping to raise money that will go directly to help these populations of gorillas. First, donations to The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International will help further their work to protect gorillas. Second, the reuse of cell phones results in the need for fewer new ones, which in turn reduces the need for coltan mining.
- Spread the word with this flyer.
- Collect the phones.
- Get a free custom mailing label from ECO-CELL.
- Mail your phones with this form to ensure the funds go to support gorillas.
- 50 cell phones: Primate Pal – Your group listed on this web page.
- 200 cell phones: Silverback Supporter – You and your group will receive one painting creating by one of our gorilla artists!
- 100 cell phones: Ranger Level – Adopt an Infant Gorilla – Green Option.
Spread the Word
Download this Infographic and Share
Use this flyer to help spread the word. Start making an impact today!