Wild Walks: School Groups
Take a walk with a Wild Guide and get a personalized understanding of the Zoo’s animal ambassadors and how we care for them. During this one-hour experience, a wild guide will engage walkers with facts, stories and information about the animals in our care, as well as share details about Zoo Atlanta’s conservation efforts and ways you can help save species.
9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. Program is 60 minutes long.
Before July 1: $16.99 per student (includes Zoo admission)
July 1 and after: $17.99 per student (includes Zoo admission)
One chaperone per 10 students is admitted free, additional chaperones pay student price.
CAPACITY: Minimum of 10 – Maximum of 120 per session
Because of the extent of walking, these tours are best suited for grades K-12th.
THEMES (Before July 1):
STEM Wild Walk
During this guided experience, participants will explore how these four disciplines are key to Zoo operations, as well as how animal adaptations have inspired innovations that benefit humans. From the engineering of enrichment for the animals, to digitally mapping animal movement to design more adaptive robots, there’s much to explore. This tour will highlight the work of our animal care staff as well as our ongoing research with external partners.
THEMES (July 1 and after):
Grades PreK-5: Animal Adaptations
Run, jump, crawl and climb – animals have amazing adaptations to move, hide and stay alive. Tour the Zoo and observe animals in action to learn what makes them unique and maybe even similar to us. GSE: CD-SC3; SKL2; S1L1; S2L1; S3L1; S4L1; S5L2 NGSS: K-LS1; 1-LS1; 2-LS4; 3-LS4; 4-LS1; 5-PS3
Grades 6-8: We’re All Connected
From the mighty oaks to the tiny terrapins, we are all connected on this Earth. During your tour, learn about different roles that animals play in their ecosystems, and find out why biodiversity is so important. GSE: S6E4; S7L4; S8P2 NGSS: MS-LS2; MS-LS4
Grades 9-12: Conservation Connections
Plants and animals around the globe face the threat of extinction and need our help. Learn about Zoo Atlanta’s conservation and research initiatives, and explore the ways the animals in our care are ambassadors for their wild counterparts. GSE: SB5; SB6; SEC1; SEC5; SEV1; SEV4; SZ4 NGSS: HS-LS2
- Educational Group Reservations must be made at least 5 weeks prior to program date.
- Non-refundable deposit of $50 is due at the time of reservation.
- Minimum group size for all guided programs is 10.
- One chaperone per 10 students is admitted free; additional chaperones pay student price.
- Membership discounts do not apply to this program.
- Group leader is required to complete one online digital waiver per group prior to the program.
- Final head count is due 4 weeks before your scheduled visit
- We ask all participants to stay home if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if they have been in contact with a COVID-positive individual in the past 2 weeks.
- Participants will be asked to maintain a six-foot distance from other family groups and Zoo team members for the entirety of the program.
- Masks are strongly recommended to participate in this program but are not required. By the request of the school or group, the Zoo Atlanta Education Team will adhere to a school’s or group’s COVID-19 safety protocols.
- The Zoo will provide sanitation materials for participant use, including hand sanitizer, sanitation wipes, and disinfectant spray.
- Payment is due at least 4 weeks prior to the date of your visit. Unpaid reservations will be cancelled if payment is not received.
- Refunds will not be given for any unused portion of your reservation.
- Collection of funds and payment of all attendees is the responsibility of the group. Payment must be made to the Education Reservations personnel.
CANCELLATIONS AND RESCHEDULES:
- All cancellations forfeit the $50 deposit.
- Cancellations received less than 2 weeks prior to the program date must pay 50% of the total cost of the program.
- Reschedules must be made at least 2 weeks prior to your schedule program date to avoid fees.
- Reschedules made less than 2 weeks before original date will result in the loss of original deposit. Another deposit is required.
- Educational Groups will not receive refunds for rain. For instances of severe inclement weather, please contact Education Reservations at 404.624.5822.
- You can pre-order your lunch! For just $8.50 per person + tax, your group can order your choice of pizza or sandwich, whole fruit, cookie and a drink! Please complete the order form and submit via email to email@example.com or by phone at 404.624.5995. Orders must be placed 2 weeks prior to your visit.
- Group lunch storage is available in the Zoo at The Lunch Den, Monday through Friday, year-round near Treetop Trail. Lunches must be in labeled cooler/container.
- Bus drivers are permitted to drop off their groups in the turnaround circle in the Cherokee Avenue parking lot. See our map for further details.
- Bus parking is not available in the City of Atlanta public parking lots on Cherokee Avenue and Boulevard. As such, we recommend that buses park on the street. While buses are parked, please consider shutting off engines to promote a healthy environment for our neighbors.
- Offsite bus parking is available at the Marshalling Yard at 362 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard, Atlanta, GA, 30313, for $28.25 per day.
- Visit the Marshalling Yard parking website.
- Select your date and enter “zooatlbus” access code
- The directions for the lots can be found at this link: gwcca.org/parking-directions.
- Car parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. Learn more about parking rates and locations.
- Zoo Atlanta welcomes all guests and makes every effort to ensure that our pathways, habitats and facilities are accessible, so you have a safe and enjoyable visit. For information on wheelchair rentals, resources for guests with sensory-processing needs, and more visit our Accessibility page.
Sign up for Education email updates to stay current on upcoming programs, events and special offers! You can remove yourself at anytime if you are no longer interested. Subscribe now!
Connect With Your Wild Side #onlyzooatl