Show Birds and Animal Ambassadors
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Zoo Atlanta has made some changes to our programming that promote the continued well-being of both our guests and the animals. As such, many programs that include behind-the-scenes experiences will remain closed after the Zoo reopens for the remainder of 2020. As such, all Keeper for a Day programming for 2020 has been canceled. Please check back later in the year for availability in 2021.
Meet dozens of birds, reptiles and mammals! Spend the morning with our amazing program animal ambassadors. In the afternoon, you will go behind-the-scenes and assist with the presentation of our Wildlife Theater show! Get up-close-and-personal with everything from alligators and hedgehogs to birds of prey and parrots.
Keeper for a Day is an exciting program at Zoo Atlanta that gives teens and adults a firsthand look at working in a zoo. Come spend the day helping zookeepers with their daily routines of food preparation, cleaning and animal care. Whether you’re considering a career in zoo keeping or have always wanted to spend some time with your favorite animal, this exclusive behind-the-scenes program is a once in a lifetime experience.
- Programs are offered on specific Saturdays March – October.
- Participants must be at least 14 years old.
- Registration is required at least one week in advance of program date and full payment must be
made at time of registration.
- Due to the hands-on nature of this program, group size is limited to 2 participants per
- Programs involving the Zoo’s animal population are subject to change; therefore, we cannot guarantee you will work with specific animals during the program.
- Cost includes Keeper for a Day behind-the-scenes activities, Zoo admission, lunch, and a t-shirt.
What should I wear?
- During the program, you will be inside and outside. Please dress comfortably for the day and appropriately for the weather. Programs will take place rain or shine. A t-shirt and nametag will be provided for participants to wear during the program. Participants must wear both of these items during the program. Participants will have time to change before the start of the program. Participants can wear a long-sleeved shirt under the t-shirt if the outside temperature is cold.
Please wear khakis or jeans. Shorts are allowed during summer months. Wear comfortable shoes that are close-toed such as tennis shoes or work boots. Old shoes are best since you will get dirty. Flip-flops and sandals should not be worn, as they will prevent participants from entering the behind-the-scenes areas that are part of the program.
What do I need to bring?
- Plan to bring a water bottle and a morning snack if you will get hungry before lunch. Lunch will be provided as part of the program*. Participants with dietary restrictions are encouraged to bring their own lunch. Also wear or bring bug spray and sunscreen in the spring, summer, and fall months. *Lunch not included with Panda Keeper for a Day program.
May I bring a camera?
- Sure! Bring your phone, digital, or film camera and take memorable pictures of your experience! (Video cameras are not allowed.)
What should I know about working with the animals?
- Although our animals are trained to work with their human caregivers, they are still wild animals and their behavior is unpredictable. It is important that you pay close attention to the guidance and instructions of Zoo staff. Never enter any animal area without direction from the keeper. Always wait for instructions and authorization from the keepers before approaching any of the animals while participating in training and feeding sessions. You must avoid touching the animals unless instructed to touch by the keepers. In addition, please note that participants who work around carnivores will be exposed to raw meat.
Are there any restrictions to participating?
- Due to animal health and safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or outside of Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate. Guests are expected to follow all rules and instructions of Zoo staff. Anyone not following instructions may be asked to leave the program without refund. Please note that behind-the-scenes areas are not handicapped accessible.
Call 404.624.5822 or email email@example.com for more information.
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s award-winning education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 – $200 increments. Program restrictions apply.