Zoo Atlanta offers a variety of professional learning events for educators throughout the year. Each of these experiences harnesses the unique animal ambassadors at the Zoo as the anchoring phenomenon for exploring grade-specific topics. These standards-focused programs will take each teacher participant through the curriculum, as well as provide brief planning time to discuss how to adapt the program to their classroom. Each professional learning opportunity is connected to a specific grade level learning target; however, the concepts may be adapted to fit additional grade levels and subjects. Lunch is provided, as well as a planning ticket to come back to the Zoo.
Activate Prior Knowledge and Demystify Classification!
Demystify scientific classification and evaluate how both living and non-living things are organized. In this professional learning, educators will dive into these concepts and complete a series of projects on how everyday objects are organized. They’ll then apply that knowledge to the ways living things are organized with the Zoo’s living resources as a guide. This professional learning will give teachers the tools to engage students in critically analyzing objects and using that information to both validate and predict categorization.
- Applicable GSE: SKL1, S2P1a
- Workshop will also address ways to adapt concepts to apply to standards in other subjects and grade levels.
- DATE: Saturday, February 8, 2020
- TIME: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- COST: $50 and includes lunch and a planning ticket to come back to the Zoo
- Participants must register in advance for all Professional Learning opportunities.
- Payment is due at the time of registration.
- Refunds will not be given unless the registration is cancelled prior to registration deadline.
CANCELLATIONS & RESCHEDULES:
- Cancellation requests received in writing (via email email@example.com) prior to the registration deadline will receive a full refund. No refunds will be issued after the registration deadline.
- If the workshop needs to be rescheduled, refunds will be issued to those who cannot attend the new date.
- For severe inclement weather, please contact Education Reservations at 404.624.5822.
- Parking is free, but limited, in the Cherokee Avenue parking lot.
Sign up for Education email updates to stay current on upcoming programs, events and special offers! You can remove yourself at anytime if you are no longer interested. Subscribe now!