Wild Encounter: Elephant
No creature looms larger over the savanna than the African elephant, and you’ll agree when you come face-to-trunk with one at Zoo Atlanta! Meet Tara or Kelly while learning why they are such important ambassadors for their species.
During this Wild Encounter experience, you will learn about elephants with a Zoo Educator before heading behind the scenes to meet up with members of the Elephant Care Team and find out more about elephant care at the Zoo. Of course, no Elephant Wild Encounter would be complete without the opportunity to hand-feed one of the “girls” an afternoon snack.
- Meet at the Zambezi Elephant Center 15 minutes before the Wild Encounter.
- Please note that availability is limited for all Wild Encounters.
Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Children must be 4 years old and up to participate.
- Children 15 years old and under must be accompanied by a ticketed Wild Encounter adult.
- There must be one ticketed Wild Encounter adult for every two ticketed children, 15 years old and under.
- Zoo Admission is not included with your Wild Encounter. If you are not a Member, you will need to also purchase General Admission tickets. Tickets may be purchased in advance on our website or at the front gates but will cost less if purchased online in advance.
- When purchasing your admission tickets, select any time slot on the same date as your Wild Encounter. You will be able to enter at any time the front gates are open by showing your General Admission ticket and Wild Encounter reservation.
- We ask all Wild Encounters participants to view the brief health screening prior to coming to the Zoo for your encounter.
- Face masks are highly recommended but are not required for this encounter.
- All participants are required to complete a digital waiver PRIOR to your encounter date.
- If you or a member of your party are feeling unwell, please visit us another time.
- Help us promote social distancing by remaining at least six feet away from others who are not part of your party.
Some behind-the-scenes and encounter spaces may not be fully accessible, due to uneven terrain, tight spaces, potential for loud sounds, and/or low lighting. Accommodations vary depending upon the program. Please contact our Education Department at 404.624.5822 or firstname.lastname@example.org for specific information concerning accessibility and accommodations.
- Full payment is due upon reservation.
- A digital waiver must be completed by each participant or guardian every time in order to participate.
- Participants 17 years old and under attending without a parent or guardian must complete a digital waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Refunds or reschedules will not be issued for no-shows.
- Cancellations received more than 7 days before the scheduled visit will receive a full refund.
- Reschedule requests received less than 7 days prior to your scheduled program date will incur a 10% reschedule fee, based upon the total cost of your reservation.
- Guests will not receive a refund and reschedules due to rain.
- In the event of extreme or inclement weather conditions, within 15 minutes of the program start time, you will be contacted by Zoo Atlanta and offered a refund (of program cost, only) or the opportunity to reschedule.
- Parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. Rates will be $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Due to animal safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants may bring phones/cameras and are permitted to take pictures of the encounter; however, video recording is not permitted.
- To ensure the safety of our animals and guests while behind the scenes, follow all instructions of keepers and Zoo staff. Participants who are not following instructions will be asked to leave the program and will not receive a refund.
- Strollers and wagons are not allowed in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Participants must wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes. Flip flops, sandals, etc. are not permitted in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Clothes may get dirty during the encounter. Please plan accordingly.
Wild Encounter Gift Certificate
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 increments up to $100. Program restrictions apply.
Connect With Your Wild Side #onlyzooatl