Wild Encounter: Elephant
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Zoo Atlanta has made some changes to our programming that promote the continued well-being of both our guests and the animals. As such, many programs that include behind-the- scenes experiences will have a delayed opening or will remain on hold after the Zoo reopens for the remainder of 2020.
No creature looms larger over the savanna than the African elephant, and you’ll agree when you come face-to-trunk with one on our African elephant Wild Encounter! Bring your family to explore the new African Savanna and meet Tara or Kelly while learning more about them and why they are such important ambassadors for their species. During your Wild Encounter, you will go on a guided tour of the habitat, receive a behind-the-scenes look at the Zambezi Elephant Center, and get an opportunity to meet members of the Elephant Care Team. Of course, no Elephant Wild Encounter would be complete without the opportunity to hand-feed one of the “girls” an afternoon snack.
Elephant Wild Encounters can be booked now for reservations beginning August 1, 2020. The Elephant Wild Encounter will take place with one of the two female elephants, Tara or Kelly.
- Children under 14 years old must be accompanied by an adult who has also purchased a Wild Encounter ticket.
- Meet at entrance to Tembo Trek (underneath trellis) 15 minutes before the Wild Encounter.
- Please note that availability is limited for all Wild Encounters
Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Tembo Trek (underneath trellis)
- A ticket is required for all participants 3 years old and up.
- Children 2 years old and under are FREE and may attend but are not permitted to interact with the animals.
- Children 3 to 8 years old must be assisted by parent/guardian while feeding.
- Children 13 years old and under must be accompanied by an adult who has also purchased a Wild Encounter ticket.
- Children 4 years old and under must be carried or held by the hand of an adult at all times.
- Full payment is due upon reservation.
- Refunds or reschedules will not be issued for no-shows.
- Cancellations received more than 7 days before the scheduled visit will receive a full refund.
- Reschedule requests received less than 7 days prior to your scheduled program date will incur a 10% reschedule fee, based upon the total cost of your reservation.
- Guests will not receive a refund and reschedules due to rain.
- In the event of extreme or inclement weather conditions, within 15 minutes of the program start time, you will be contacted by Zoo Atlanta and offered a refund (of program cost, only) or the opportunity to reschedule.
- A waiver must be completed by each participant or guardian every time in order to participate.
- Participants 17 years old and under attending without a parent or guardian MUST bring a completed waiver with them that is signed by a parent or guardian.
- Due to animal safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants may bring phones/cameras and are permitted to take pictures of the encounter; however, video recording is not permitted.
- To ensure the safety of our animals and guests while behind the scenes, follow all instructions of keepers and Zoo staff. Participants who are not following instructions will be asked to leave the program and will not receive a refund.
- Strollers and wagons are not allowed in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Participants must wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes. Flip flops, sandals, etc. are not permitted in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Clothes may get dirty during the encounter. Please plan accordingly.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Your program will start with a tour of the outside of the animal’s habitat, then you will go behind the scenes to feed the animal. For your safety, encounters will occur with protected contact, where you will not be in the same physical space with the animal but will feed them through a barrier. The Elephant Wild Encounter is unique as participants can experience the elephant up-close and touch the elephant.
Wild Encounter Gift Certificate
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 increments up to $100. Program restrictions apply.