Scaly Slimy Spectacular
THE AMPHIBIAN & REPTILE EXPERIENCE
The state-of-the-art new amphibian and reptile complex features more than 70 species.
Scaly Slimy Spectacular replaced the World of Reptiles, which was the oldest building on Zoo grounds still used for public exhibits. Construction on the World of Reptiles began in 1964, and the venue opened to the public in 1967.
More than 50 years removed from the era of its predecessor, Scaly Slimy Spectacular invites you to explore Earth’s magnificent natural wonders with an introduction to the creatures and ecosystems that make our planet’s wild places irreplaceable.Book Now
The Building & Exhibits
- The $18-million complex is the result of 18 months of construction.
- The complex is home to around 100 individual animals representing more than 70 species.
- The experience’s iconic glass entry dome is 45 feet tall.
- The project is approximately 14,000 square feet in size.
- The aquatic animal habitats channel some 60,000 gallons of water, including a 30-foot waterfall.
- The complex features around 9,700 square feet of custom-designed rockwork.
- Includes more than 65 animal habitats including a windswept desert, African savanna, Australian billabong, mangrove swamp, Georgia tidal creek and many more!
The animal identification signage in Scaly Slimy Spectacular is digital and interactive – a first for the Zoo! The habitats are outfitted with tablet-sized touch screens, where Zoo-goers can learn about individual animals, view photos, and watch video clips.
Scaly Slimy Spectacular Awards
1st place in the National Association for Interpretation (NAI) Interpretive Media Awards, “Interior Exhibits” category, 2016
World’s first LEED Gold-Certified reptile and amphibian exhibit, 2015
ENR Southeast Best Project Award, “Cultural/Worship” category, 2015
Top Project in Commercial Construction under $30 Million, Construction Management Association of America, 2015
More Ssspectacular Fun!
The Scaly Slimy Spectaculator is a companion game for the new exhibit. Find out interesting facts about reptiles and amphibians to answer questions and earn cards. Once you’ve collected enough cards, build your own creature in the Spectaculator! Download the game featured on interactive kiosks throughout the experience below.