Internships and Externships
Zoo Atlanta agrees to provide interns: Skills, training, and support materials needed for designated service area; opportunities to develop personal connections to professionals in your field of interest; hands-on experience that will look great on your resume; opportunities to develop new skills and make new friends; a chance to make a difference for endangered species and conservation issues; and a fun and meaningful environment.
Internships at Zoo Atlanta are designed to provide training and professional work experience that will help you achieve your academic and professional goals. Intern positions are unpaid and open to applicants enrolled in a degree-seeking program or who have recently graduated within two years from a college program in a field relevant to the internship being applied for.
The program is designed for veterinary technician students in their final year of an accredited program who wish to acquire experience working in a clinical setting with a zoological collection. The program will offer hands –on opportunities to work with a wide range of species. The externship must be part of the required curriculum and count towards graduation credits. This program is voluntary and no stipend or housing is available. Dates and durations of the externship are flexible; however a minimum of six weeks of 40-hour/week is required.
Once you have applied for the position you are interested in, including submission of the requested materials, you will be contacted to set up an individual interview IF you meet the qualifications and there is intern placement availability.
- Hours for each opportunity vary and will not exceed 40 hours a week.
- Please indicate on your application which dates you are applying for.
- Mandatory Intern Orientation will take place on the first day of the term from 9:30 a.m.-Noon.
- Must pass a background check and present a negative TB test.
- Zoo Atlanta interns agree to: Abide by the rules and regulations of Zoo Atlanta, your service area, and those set forth in the internship handbook (a handbook will be provided to you prior to your first day).
- Attend designated training and continuing education classes for your service area.
- Report on time for scheduled events/service areas.
- Notify your supervisor, in writing, of any change in internship status.
|2017 Intern Terms||Dates|
|2018 Intern Terms||Dates|
*Please indicate on your application which dates you are applying for.