HomeSchool Academy: Spring 2023
Join Zoo Atlanta for a morning of learning and discovery designed specifically for homeschool students!
HomeSchool Academy is a two-hour program that allows students to explore animal and science concepts in an engaging, interactive environment. Programs are grade-appropriate and include hands-on, minds-on activities and Zoo tours that hone students’ STEM skillsets in a collaborative environment.
This program will include monthly lesson plans to do at home, as well as an extended learning activity to do with students’ families to further cement the learning concepts covered. Each month, students will build upon concepts to create a deep understanding of the topic being studied.
Whether you look in your backyard or around the world, animals are everywhere. Sometimes we can see them clearly and sometimes they are hidden right in front of us. Spend the semester learning about different types of animal coloration, find out more about the ways colors help animals survive in their habitats, and observe animals each month to learn more about their colorful adaptations.
Calling all gumshoes! Something funny is happening at Zoo Atlanta and we need your help to solve these animal mysteries. Each month, learn and explore different animal habitats, physiologies, adaptations, and more to track down clues and piece together puzzles. Using your observation skills, you can determine “whodunit!”
Let’s combine the “-ologys!” What happens when biology, ecology and technology meet in the Zoo? This semester, discover how technology supports both animals and humans at Zoo Atlanta. We will explore the different tools used in veterinary medicine, research and enrichment. Try your hands (and brains) with some of the tech that is used daily, and maybe even make something new!
Ever wonder just how DO birds fly? Or how snakes expand their jaws to eat? Animal sciences include more than just biology or zoology. This semester, tackle these questions and more as we look at the physics behind animals and their survival.
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
$120 per semester or $30 per program
$100 per semester or $30 per program
- Face masks are highly recommended but are not required for this program.
- We ask all participants to stay home if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if they have been in contact with a COVID-positive individual in the past 2 weeks.
- The Zoo will provide sanitation materials for participant use, including hand sanitizer, sanitation wipes, and disinfectant spray.
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP
- Drop-off and pick-up will occur via the Education Conservation Gate of the Zoo.
- The Education Conservation Gate is located in the south (right-hand) corner of the Cherokee Avenue parking lot.
- At drop-off, parents will be given a printed check-out number for their children, which is required of anyone picking up your child. Please place this number on a visible part of your car’s dashboard during check-out. For your child’s safety, we will not release your child unless the appropriate check-out number is provided at check-out. If your child will be picked up by someone else, the number can be written on a piece of paper and be presented at check-out.
- Students must be dropped off and picked-up by a parent or guardian.
- Procedures for Pick-up and Drop-off:
- Enter the Cherokee Avenue parking lot by the historic cannons. Go to the right and follow the traffic cones to the Conservation Education Gate and enter the queue for both drop-off and pick-up.
- At drop-off, an instructor will greet your child and help him/her from the car. Do not drop off a child without checking in properly with the Education Team.
- During check-out, a staff member will relay the Check-Out Number from your dashboard to the educators to prepare your child for check-out.
- For the safety of children, parents, and staff, please remain in your vehicle during drop-off and pick-up.
- Participants arriving late must use the call box outside the Education Conservation Gate to call Security.
- If you choose to stay on Zoo grounds, paid parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. These are public parking lots and are owned by the City of Atlanta and managed by AAA Parking. Rates are $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Advance registration is required.
- Payment in full is required at the time of registration.
- Online digital waiver must be signed prior the first day of the semester.
- Walk-up registrations are not accepted.
CANCELLATION AND NO-SHOW POLICY
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows.
- Refunds will not be issued for individual missed days of the program.
- Cancellations received 2 or more weeks prior to the program start date will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation received 2 weeks or less prior to the program start date will result in a loss of 50% of total cost of the canceled reservation.
- Programs are rain-or-shine. Programs may be canceled due to inclement weather, in which case the Zoo will notify participants of the cancellation as soon as possible prior to the program. If this happens, a full refund will be issued for the canceled day. We will do our best to reschedule in the event of a canceled program, but rescheduling is not guaranteed.
Call 404.624.5822 with questions or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Education email updates to stay current on upcoming programs, events and special offers! You can remove yourself at any time if you are no longer interested. Subscribe now!
Connect With Your Wild Side #onlyzooatl