HomeSchool Academy: Spring 2022
Join Zoo Atlanta for a morning of learning and discovery designed specifically for homeschool students!
HomeSchool Academy is a two-hour program that allows students to explore animal and science concepts in an engaging, interactive environment. Programs are grade-appropriate and include hands-on, minds-on activities and Zoo tours that hone students’ STEM skillsets in a collaborative environment.
This program will include monthly lesson plans to do at home, as well as an extended learning activity to do with students’ families to further cement the learning concepts covered. Each month, students will build upon concepts to create a deep understanding of the topic being studied.
Crawl, slither, and hop with us as we soar and explore the different ways animals move. This semester will be a high-flying adventure exploring how animals get their groove on. Like our animal ambassadors, students will move, shimmy, and shake, all while learning about animal biology and physiology.
From sloths and pandas to ostriches and tigers, join us this semester as we visit some of the fastest (and the slowest) animals here at Zoo Atlanta. Using biology and physics, we will discover why some animals feel the need for speed and why others take the slow route.
Habitat, habitat, have to have a habitat. A habitat is so much more than just where an animal lives. Join us this semester as we aim to discover the ins and outs of what makes a healthy and happy home for an animal. At the end of the semester, students will be able to explain the interdependence and interconnectedness of habitats and ecosystems.
Get your head in the game as we learn and explore human brain power and the mighty brains of animals. Are we similar to other great apes? Are birds really bird brains? Investigate cognition in animals and the ways animal care staff tap into animal smarts to provide training and enrichment.
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
$150 per semester or $30 per program
$120 per semester or $30 per program
- Face masks are highly recommended but are not required for this program.
- We ask all participants to stay home if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if they have been in contact with a COVID-positive individual in the past 2 weeks.
- The Zoo will provide sanitation materials for participant use, including hand sanitizer, sanitation wipes, and disinfectant spray.
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP
- Drop-off and pick-up will occur via the Education Conservation Gate of the Zoo.
- The Education Conservation Gate is located in the south (right-hand) corner of the Cherokee Avenue parking lot.
- At drop-off, parents will be given a printed check-out number for their children, which is required of anyone picking up your child. Please place this number on a visible part of your car’s dashboard during check-out. For your child’s safety, we will not release your child unless the appropriate check-out number is provided at check-out. If your child will be picked up by someone else, the number can be written on a piece of paper and be presented at check-out.
- Students must be dropped off and picked-up by a parent or guardian.
- Procedures for Pick-up and Drop-off:
- Enter the Cherokee Avenue parking lot by the historic cannons. Go to the right and follow the traffic cones to the Conservation Education Gate and enter the queue for both drop-off and pick-up.
- At drop-off, an instructor will greet your child and help him/her from the car. Do not drop off a child without checking in properly with the Education Team.
- During check-out, a staff member will relay the Check-Out Number from your dashboard to the educators to prepare your child for check-out.
- For the safety of children, parents, and staff, please remain in your vehicle during drop-off and pick-up.
- Participants arriving late must use the call box outside the Education Conservation Gate to call Security.
- If you choose to stay on Zoo grounds, paid parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. These are public parking lots and are owned by the City of Atlanta and managed by AAA Parking. Rates are $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Advance registration is required.
- Payment in full is required at the time of registration.
- Online digital waiver must be signed prior the first day of the semester.
- Walk-up registrations are not accepted.
CANCELLATION AND NO-SHOW POLICY
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows.
- Refunds will not be issued for individual missed days of the program.
- Cancellations received 2 or more weeks prior to the program start date will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation received 2 weeks or less prior to the program start date will result in a loss of 50% of total cost of the canceled reservation.
- Programs are rain-or-shine. Programs may be canceled due to inclement weather, in which case the Zoo will notify participants of the cancellation as soon as possible prior to the program. If this happens, a full refund will be issued for the canceled day. We will do our best to reschedule in the event of a canceled program, but rescheduling is not guaranteed.