HomeSchool Academy: Spring 2021
As part of our commitment to the continued well-being of our guests, team members and the animals in our care, and in ongoing efforts to assist our community in preventing the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented enhanced protocols and procedures you will notice during your visit.
Join Zoo Atlanta for a morning of learning and discovery designed specifically for homeschool students! HomeSchool Academy is a 90-minute program that allows students to explore animal and science concepts in an engaging, interactive environment. Programs are grade-appropriate and include hands-on, minds-on activities and Zoo tours and hone students’ STEM skillsets in a collaborative environment.
Spring 2021: Around the World in One Semester!
Come travel with us around the world! From sun bears to giant pandas, lions to tigers, or gorillas to orangutans, learn about similarities and differences between species from different parts of the globe, and discover the ways they are adapted to survive in their unique environments. As we travel to different continents, students will have the opportunity to explore the species that can be found there as they compare and contrast their relatives in other parts of the world. Join us each month as we visit a new region in the Zoo and explore the ways animals are built to survive.
Virtual Sessions (Jan. – Feb.)
We are closely watching the COVID-19 case numbers and have decided that, in the best interest of your child’s health and our staff’s heath, we will hold the program virtually for the months of January and February with the plan to return to in-person programming for March-May sessions.
We will stagger the virtual sessions based on grade level and will hold 45-minute sessions to cover the monthly themes. Each month, your students will receive a pre-lesson to prepare them for the program, as well as a take-home activity to extend their learning.
In Person Sessions (March – May)
This program will include monthly lesson plans to do at home, as well as an extended learning activity to do with students’ families to further cement the learning concepts covered. Each month, students will build upon concepts to create a deep understanding of the topic being studied.
March-May sessions will take place in-person. To ensure the safety of all participants and educators, capacity for these programs has been greatly reduced, students will stay with their group for the entirety of the program, and all educators and students will adhere to the safety protocols as outlined below. We will continue to monitor all health reports and, with advance notice, reserve the right to transition to a virtual program for these sessions if necessary.
For more information please read our Homeschool Academy Information Packet (PDF).
January 13 (Virtual)
February 10 (Virtual)
Virtual Sessions (Jan. – Feb.):
- K-2nd: 10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
- 3rd-5th: 11:15 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- 6th-8th: 12:30 p.m. -1:15 p.m.
- 9th-12th: 1:45 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
In Person Sessions (March – May):
- 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
$125 per semester
$100 per semester
DATES AND TOPICS FOR SPRING 2021 SCHOOL YEAR
- We ask all participants to stay home if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if they have been in contact with a COVID-positive individual in the past 2 weeks.
- Guardians will be required to sign an online digital waiver prior to the program.
- Programs will take place exclusively in outdoor or semi-outdoor locations.
- Participants will be asked to maintain a six-foot distance between themselves, other participants, and Zoo team members for the entirety of the program.
- All participants are required to wear a face mask while participating in the program.
- The Zoo will provide sanitation materials for participant use, including hand sanitizer, sanitation wipes, and disinfectant spray.
- All Zoo team members will wear a face mask for the duration of the program.
- All Zoo team members will maintain a six-foot distance between themselves, other team members, and participants.
- Advance registration is required.
- Payment in full is required at the time of registration.
- Online digital waiver must be signed prior the first day of the semester.
- Walk-up registrations are not accepted.
- Registration closes the Wednesday before at midnight.
CANCELLATION AND NO-SHOW POLICY
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows.
- Refunds will not be issued for individual missed days of the program.
- Cancellations received 2 or more weeks prior to the program start date will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation received 2 weeks or less prior to the program start date will result in a loss of 50% of total cost of the cancelled reservation.
- Programs are rain-or-shine. Programs may be cancelled due to inclement weather, in which case the Zoo will notify participants of the cancellation as soon as possible prior to the program. If this happens, a full refund will be issued for the cancelled day. We will do our best to reschedule in the event of a cancelled program, but rescheduling is not guaranteed.
CHECK-IN AND PICKUP
- Check-in and pick-up will occur via the Education Conservation Gate of the Zoo.
- The Education Conservation Gate is located in the south (right-hand) corner of the Cherokee Avenue parking lot.
- For your child’s safety, an adult 18 years old or older must check-in and pick-up your child with Zoo Atlanta team members.
- Participants arriving late must use the call box outside of the Education Conservation Gate to call Security.
- Parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. Rates will be $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.