Wild Encounter: Warthog
We welcome you to the wild world of warthogs! Come explore what it takes to care for these charismatic creatures and their neighbors in the African Savanna.
Do warthogs really have warts? Get an up-close look and see! Join us for a behind-the-scenes look at Zoo Atlanta’s African Savanna and give the warthogs a favorite treat. You’ll also meet members of the Zoo’s Animal Care Team and find out what goes into the care of warthogs and other savanna animals.
- Meet outside the warthog habitat near the SweetWater Beer Garden 15 minutes (at 12:45) before the Wild Encounter to check in.
- Please note that availability is limited for all Wild Encounters.
- This encounter is not ADA accessible.
- All guests must wear closed-toed shoes on this encounter.
Warthog Wild Encounters will begin again in Spring 2024.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday at 1 p.m.
- Children must be 4 years old and up to participate.
- Children 15 years old and under must be accompanied by a ticketed Wild Encounter adult.
- There must be one ticketed Wild Encounter adult for every two ticketed children 15 years old and under.
- Zoo Admission is not included with your Wild Encounter. If you are not a Member, you will need to also purchase General Admission tickets. Tickets may be purchased in advance on our website or at the front gates but will cost less if purchased online in advance.
- When purchasing your admission tickets, select any time slot on the same date as your Wild Encounter. You will be able to enter at any time the front gates are open by showing your General Admission ticket and Wild Encounter reservation.
- All participants must wear closed-toed and closed-heeled shoes.
- We ask all Wild Encounters participants to view the brief health screening prior to coming to the Zoo for your encounter. If you or anyone in your party answers “yes” to any of the questions, please contact our Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule.
- All participants are required to complete a digital waiver PRIOR to your encounter date.
- If you or a member of your party are feeling unwell, please visit us another time.
Some behind-the-scenes and encounter spaces may not be fully accessible due to uneven terrain, tight spaces, potential for loud sounds, and/or low lighting. Accommodations vary depending upon the program. Please contact our Education Department at 404.624.5822 or email@example.com for specific information concerning accessibility and accommodation.
All Wild Encounters guests are expected to adhere to our Zoo Atlanta Rules of conduct, found here.
- Full payment is due upon reservation.
- A digital waiver must be completed by each participant or guardian in order to participate.
- Participants under 17 years old and under attending without a parent or guardian must complete a digital waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Refunds or reschedules will not be issued for no-shows.
- Cancellations received more than 7 days before the scheduled visit will receive a full refund.
- Reschedule requests received less than 7 days prior to your scheduled program date will incur a 10% reschedule fee, based upon the total cost of your reservation.
- Guests will not receive a refund and reschedules due to rain.
- In the event of extreme or inclement weather conditions, within 15 minutes of the program start time, you will be contacted by Zoo Atlanta and offered a refund (of program cost, only) or the opportunity to reschedule.
- Parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. These are paid public lots owned by the City of Atlanta and managed by AAA Parking. Rates will be $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Due to animal safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants can expect to meet members of the Animal Care Team, meet an animal, learn about our positive reinforcement training and enrichment programs, and walk away with a keepsake and knowledge of how to save species. All participation in Wild Encounters programs is voluntary for the animals.
- Participants may bring phones/cameras and are permitted to take pictures of the encounter; however, video recording is not permitted.
- To ensure the safety of our animals and guests while behind the scenes, follow all instructions of the Zoo team. Participants who are not following instructions will be asked to leave the program and will not receive a refund.
- Strollers and wagons are not allowed in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Participants must wear closed-toed and closed-heeled shoes. Flip flops, sandals, etc., are not permitted in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Clothes may get dirty during the encounter. Please plan accordingly.
- In the event of rain, the encounter will still proceed. Due to animal needs, umbrellas cannot be used in the encounter area, but can be carried during the experience.
- We strongly encourage insect repellent.