Wild Encounter: Petting Zoo Painters
Join the Animal Care Team and one of our talented animal artists, meeting either the Zoo’s “VanGoat” or “Baaahlo,” and take home a unique work of art in this unforgettable experience.
Learn about the positive reinforcement training process of becoming an animal artist. See firsthand the ways this enrichment activity fits into high standards of care for animals at the Zoo when you meet a goat or sheep and see their art creation in action. Please note that we cannot guarantee a specific animal for your program.
- Meet at the Petting Zoo area of Outback Station 15 minutes before the Wild Encounter start time.
- Please note that availability is limited for all Wild Encounters.
- Includes one (1) take-home canvas per registered group.
Saturdays at 3:15 p.m.
- Youth 15 years old and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- There must be one adult in attendance with each registration.
- Youth 3 and under must remain with their adult group members at all times.
- Zoo Admission is not included with your Wild Encounter. If you are not a Member, you will need to also purchase General Admission tickets. Tickets may be purchased in advance on our website or at the front gates but will cost less if purchased online in advance.
- When purchasing your admission tickets, select any time slot on the same date as your Wild Encounter. You will be able to enter at any time the front gates are open by showing your General Admission ticket and Wild Encounter reservation.
- We ask all Wild Encounters participants to view the brief health screening prior to coming to the Zoo for your encounter.
- All participants are required to complete a digital waiver PRIOR to your encounter date.
- If you or a member of your party are feeling unwell, please visit us another time.
Some behind-the-scenes and encounter spaces may not be fully accessible, due to uneven terrain, tight spaces, potential for loud sounds, and/or low lighting. Accommodations vary depending upon the program. Please contact our Education Department at 404.624.5822 or email@example.com for specific information concerning accessibility and accommodations.
All Wild Encounters guests are expected to adhere to our Zoo Atlanta Rules of conduct, found here.
- Full payment is due upon reservation.
- A digital waiver must be completed by each participant or guardian every time in order to participate.
- Participants 17 years old and under attending without a parent or guardian must complete a digital waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Refunds or reschedules will not be issued for no-shows.
- Cancellations received more than 7 days before the scheduled visit will receive a full refund.
- Reschedule requests received less than 7 days prior to your scheduled program date will incur a 10% reschedule fee, based upon the total cost of your reservation.
- Guests will not receive a refund and reschedules due to rain.
- In the event of extreme or inclement weather conditions, within 15 minutes of the program start time, you will be contacted by Zoo Atlanta and offered a refund (of program cost, only) or the opportunity to reschedule.
- Parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. Rates will be $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Participants can expect to meet members of the Animal Care Team, meet an animal, learn about our positive reinforcement training and enrichment programs, and walk away with a keepsake and knowledge of how to save species. All participation in Wild Encounters programs is voluntary for the animals.
- Due to animal safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants may bring phones/cameras and are permitted to take pictures of the encounter; however, video recording is not permitted.
- To ensure the safety of our animals and guests while behind the scenes, follow all instructions of keepers and Zoo staff. Participants who are not following instructions will be asked to leave the program and will not receive a refund.
- Strollers and wagons are not allowed in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Participants must wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes. Flip flops, sandals, etc. are not permitted in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Clothes may get dirty during the encounter. Please plan accordingly.
Wild Encounter Gift Certificate
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 increments up to $100. Program restrictions apply.