Virtual Classroom Chat
NEW this year, take a trip to the Zoo without getting on a bus! Harnessing technology as the vehicle, connect your students to animals, careers, conservation, and all things Zoo Atlanta through a Virtual Field Trip. Aligned with the Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE), this program engages students in STEM concepts as they learn about Zoo Atlanta’s animal ambassadors and conservation initiatives. The program is facilitated by a Zoo Atlanta Educator through an online platform and includes standards-based curriculum to supplement the program. The program is designed for classes of up to 30 students and may be adaptable to other grade levels with advance notice at time of booking.
This program will be hosted on Zoom – an easy, cloud platform for video and audio interaction.
LENGTH: 30 minutes
- Engage live with a Zoo Educator, as well as gain access to behind-the-scenes videos showcasing unique animal care areas and/or animal training sessions
- Biofact exploration
- Lesson that supports the GSE and includes curricular resources to further explore the concepts
- Choose from Amazing Adaptations (grades K-5), Food for Thought (grades 6-8), or Living Laboratory (grades 9-12)
Available daily year-round
Select a start time from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
From elephant noses to snake scales, learn about weird and wild adaptations animals use to survive! Compare and contrast your very own amazing adaptations with the animals we explore.
GSE: SKL2, S1L1, S3L1, S5L2
NGSS: K-LS1-1, 1-LS3-1, 2-LS4-1, 3-LS3-1, 4-LS1-1
Zoo Atlanta’s animal ambassadors are incredibly diverse and require unique care. Explore the Animal Nutrition Kitchen to see how we meet their nutritional needs and mimic their natural diets.
As innate problem solvers, animals inspire innovation and new ways of looking at things. Explore how scientific investigation is applied and research is carried out in our living laboratory as we examine and discuss cutting-edge research happening at Zoo Atlanta!
Whether searching for food, avoiding danger, or interacting with others, a day in the life of a wild species can be pretty busy. In order to survive in their natural habitats, animals have unique adaptations, rely upon instinctual behaviors, and are great problem solvers. At Zoo Atlanta, we encourage these natural behaviors through enrichment. Enrichment may include anything from novel scents, to problem solving tasks, to new items within animal habitats. Enrichment can also include painting, and many of the animals at Zoo Atlanta find this activity engaging and rewarding. Ivan the western lowland gorilla was well known for his love of painting. It not only engaged his mind, but it also enhanced his dexterity and provided social interaction with his care team. In this program, learn about enrichment from the Zoo Atlanta care team and meet a few of the animals that either paint or participate in unique enrichment activities. We promise that you will be as engaged in this program as the animals are with their enrichment!
*This program does not include standards-based curriculum but can be adapted to meet any grade level.
Teachers can use the following standards to integrate the program into their curriculum: SKL2, S1L1, S2L1, S3L1, S4L1, S5L2, S7L5, SB5, SEC3, SEV2, SZ4, SZ5
- Every group is required to complete a Virtual Program Waiver and adhere to our Virtual Programming Code of Conduct.
- Educational Group Reservations must be made at least 5 WEEKS prior to program date.
- Non-refundable deposit of $50 is due at the time of reservation.
- Membership discounts do not apply to Wild Walks.
- Payment is due at least 4 WEEKS prior to the date of your visit. Unpaid reservations will be cancelled if payment is not received.
- Collection of funds and payment of all attendees is the responsibility of the group. Payment must be made to the Education Reservations Team.
CANCELLATIONS & RESCHEDULES
- All cancellations forfeit the $50 deposit.
- Cancellations received less than 2 WEEKS prior to the program date must pay 50% of the total cost of the program.
- Reschedules must be made at least 2 WEEKS prior to your scheduled program date to avoid fees.
- Reschedules made less than 2 WEEKS before original date will result in the loss of original deposit. Another deposit is required.