Being an animal care professional is hard work, especially in the highly specialized care of giant pandas! Back by popular demand, we are inviting you behind the scenes to see the giant panda complex in action with our Giant Panda Keeper for a Day program! Participants will get to spend the afternoon alongside our giant panda care team learning about their exciting and challenging careers while helping take care of giant pandas.
Keeper for a Day is an exciting program at Zoo Atlanta that gives teens and adults a firsthand look at working in a zoo. Come spend the day helping zookeepers with their daily routines of food preparation, cleaning and animal care. Whether you’re considering a career in zoo keeping or have always wanted to spend some time with your favorite animal, this exclusive behind-the-scenes program is a once in a lifetime experience.
12:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Programs are offered on specific Saturdays throughout the year.
- Participants must be at least 14 years old.
- Registration is required at least one week in advance of program date and full payment must be made at time of registration.
- Due to the hands-on nature of this program, group size is limited to 2 participants per
- Programs involving the Zoo’s animal population are subject to change, and can be cancelled due to animal and staff needs. In the event that Zoo Atlanta cancels a program, participants will get the opportunity to move their program to another date, or receive a full refund for the cost of the program. Zoo Atlanta does not reimburse flight, hotel or other travel costs.
- Zoo Atlanta cannot guarantee you will work with specific animals during the program.
- Cost includes Keeper for a Day behind-the-scenes activities, Zoo admission, and a T-shirt.
What should I wear?
- Participants will wear scrubs and rubber boots provided by Zoo Atlanta. Once inside the building, participants will change into the scrubs and boots for the duration of the program. Socks are required to participate in the program.
What do I need to bring?
- Plan to bring a water bottle and a snack if you will get hungry during the program. Lunch is not included with the Giant Panda Keeper for a Day program.
May I bring a camera?
- Sure! Bring your phone, digital or film camera and take memorable pictures of your experience! (Video cameras are not allowed.)
What should I know about working with the animals?
- Although our animals are trained to work with their human caregivers, they are still wild animals and their behavior is unpredictable. It is important that you pay close attention to the guidance and instructions of Zoo staff. Never enter any animal area without direction from the keeper. Always wait for instructions and authorization from the keepers before approaching any of the animals while participating in training and feeding sessions. Due to Zoo Atlanta’s contact protocols, there is no touching or holding of any animals on this program.
*Red panda is not included in the Giant Panda Keeper for a Day program.
Are there any restrictions to participating?
- Due to animal health and safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or outside of Canada within ten (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants with a sick dog or cat at home, or who have a puppy under 6 months old, should not participate and should reschedule for a later date.
- Guests are expected to follow all rules and instructions of Zoo staff. Anyone not following instructions may be asked to leave the program without a refund.
- Please note that behind-the-scenes areas are not handicapped accessible. Participants should be able to safely lift and carry 30 pounds and be able to stand for 3 hours.
Call 404.624.5822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s award-winning education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 – $200 increments. Program restrictions apply.