Family Volunteer Program
Connecting kids to conservation
If your family is looking to give back to your community while spending time together and want to learn more about our natural world, or just have fun, come discover all of the exciting and unique Family Volunteer opportunities at Zoo Atlanta! The Family Volunteer Program offers families the opportunity to develop public speaking skills, expand their conservation awareness, and instill a lifetime commitment to giving back to their community.
Family Volunteers have a variety of service areas to choose from to fit the skills and availability of their families. Families looking to interact with Zoo guests may be interested in engaging guests in a Clue Spotter Mystery at the Zoo’s Clues station on Saturdays, or welcoming and providing maps for guests at the entrance to the Zoo as a Zoo Ambassador! Is your family as passionate about conservation as Zoo Atlanta is? Public events such as our Animal Awareness Days love help from our Family Volunteers on sharing conservation messages with guests and leading conservation-themed games and crafts! For families looking to step up their animal knowledge game, Exhibit Interpretation may be a great fit for you; Family Volunteers can learn and then share our animal’s stories with guests at specific animal habitats!
To stay current on all animal information, Family Volunteers are invited to attend a quarterly MEGA Update with our Adult Volunteers, Docents and Volunteens. Has your family visited Zoo Atlanta on a holiday and seen special surprises in some of the animal habitats? Be a part of the magic by volunteering with our Enrichment Team to build and craft enrichment items for our animals! Our dynamic Family Volunteers make a difference for wildlife by inspiring our guests to appreciate animals and helping to provide a lively, fun and educational experience to guests.
“My son, a Zoo Family Volunteer, still talks about Earth Day two years ago when we used blenders, screens and irons to ‘recycle’ old paper into new paper. A guest commented on him being ‘the youngest zookeeper’ they’d ever seen as he was holding up earthworms for guests who didn’t want to dig into the box themselves.”
-Susan Darnell, Family Volunteer
Important dates for 2017:
- Please fill out and submit a Family Volunteer Application by May 7, 2017 to attend the Family Volunteer Orientation in late May.
- Please fill out and submit a Family Volunteer Application by October 15, 2017 to attend the Family Volunteer Orientation in early November.
8-13 years old
- Be able to commit one year of volunteer service and commit to 50 service hours per year as family (approximately 4 hours per month).
- Purchase a name badge ($5) and uniform T-shirt ($10) for each family member
- Ability to pass a background check (adults only)
- Provide a negative TB test for each family member
- Maintain a current Zoo Atlanta Family Membership
- Complete a Family Volunteer application
- Attend a Family Volunteer Orientation
For further information, please contact the Volunteen Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions about everything our Family Volunteer Program has to offer.