J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program at Zoo Atlanta
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program (Just Outdoors, Events, and Youth) is an opportunity for families or guardian-child groups to give back to their community and to spend time together outdoors by volunteering at events hosted by Zoo Atlanta.
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer program is for parents or guardians and children ages 8-13 years old to volunteer at Zoo Atlanta. JOEY Volunteers earn service hours by serving at a minimum of 9 of the Zoo’s public events over the course of a year.
Once children turn 14 years old, they are encouraged to apply to the Volunteen Program, and parents are encouraged to apply to the Adult Volunteer Program. Click here to learn more about the many experiences J.O.E.Y. Volunteers have as part of the program.
2019 Important Dates
Mark your calendars for these dates! Contact the Volunteen Supervisor at 404.624.5882 or email@example.com with any questions.
- J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Preview Night*: Thursday, January 24, 2019
- New J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Application due: Friday, March 1, 2019 by 5 p.m.
- New J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Orientation: Saturday, March 16 or Wednesday, March 20, 2019. One date is required for selected candidates only.
*J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Preview Night is for potential new J.O.E.Y. Volunteers and their parents! We invite you to Zoo Atlanta to learn more about the program, ask questions, and meet other Volunteers and staff. A parent must be present, and registration is required to attend the event.
8-13 years old
J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program Requirements:
- Applicants must complete an online application to be considered for the program.
- To be eligible for the program, children must be 8 – 13 years old by March 20 with an adult who is a parent or guardian.
- J.O.E.Y. Volunteers commit to serving with at least 3 different events per semester (more are encouraged!).
- Volunteers pay an orientation fee ($15 per person) to cover a name badge and uniform T-shirt for each Volunteer.
- Adults are required to submit to a background check. One parent or guardian is required to volunteer for every 2 children volunteering.
- J.O.E.Y. Volunteers are required to attend orientation and event-specific trainings at the start of each of their shifts.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Complete an online application.
All new applicants must fill out an online application for each child in your family or group. The youth volunteer should answer the short response questions in the application. The answers to the short responses will help us learn about your family’s interests and personalities, so please encourage them to complete these thoughtfully!
Please be sure to double-check all contact information, as we will use this information to contact you regarding your application status. We prefer providing a parent’s email address for each application. If a second parent or guardian is volunteering with the child or children, please provide their contact information by carefully following the directions under the “Parent/Guardian & Emergency Contact” section. One parent or guardian is required to volunteer for every 2 children volunteering.
2. Monitor your inboxes for communication from us.
A member of the Volunteer Team will be in touch with you regarding your application status on or before March 13, 2019. New J.O.E.Y. Volunteers are required to attend orientation, so please mark your calendars for our 2019 J.O.E.Y. Volunteer orientation dates.
Please keep in mind that the J.O.E.Y. Volunteer program has a finite number of openings each year, and if your family is not selected for the program this year, we encourage you to apply again next year!
Thank you for your interest in the J.O.E.Y. Volunteer program at Zoo Atlanta! Contact the Volunteen Supervisor at 404.624.5882 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.