J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program at Zoo Atlanta
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program (Just Outdoors, Events and Youth) is an opportunity for families or guardian-child groups to give back to their community and spend time together outdoors by volunteering at events hosted by Zoo Atlanta.
The J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program is for parents or guardians and children ages 8 to 13 years old. JOEY Volunteers earn service hours by serving at a minimum of nine of the Zoo’s public events over the course of a year.
Once children turn 14 years old, they are encouraged to apply to the Volunteen Program, and parents are encouraged to apply to the Adult Volunteer Program. Click here to learn more about the many experiences J.O.E.Y. Volunteers have as part of the program.
Our program runs from June 1 through the following May 31 each year. Please read below for more information on how to apply for the 2021-2022 program year.
Mark your calendars for these dates! Contact the Supervisor of Youth Volunteers at 404.624.5882 or email@example.com with any questions.
- New J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Application opens: Friday, January 1, 2021
- New J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Application due: Sunday, February 28, 2021 by 5 p.m.
- All (New and Returning) J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Orientation: Friday, April 2, 2021 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, April 3, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. One date only is required for selected candidates.
8-13 years old
J.O.E.Y. Volunteer Program Requirements:
- Applicants must complete an online application to be considered for the program.
- To be eligible for the program, children must be 8 to 13 years old by June 1, 2021, and they must volunteer with an adult who is a parent or guardian.
- J.O.E.Y. Volunteers commit to serving during at least three events per semester (more are encouraged!).
- Volunteers pay an orientation fee ($15 per person) to cover a name badge and uniform T-shirt for each Volunteer. Scholarships are available for qualified applicants.
- Adults are required to submit to a background check. One parent or guardian is required to volunteer for every two children volunteering.
- J.O.E.Y. Volunteers are required to attend orientation and event-specific trainings at the start of each of their shifts.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete an online application.
All new applicants must fill out an online application for each child in your family or group. The youth volunteer should answer the short response questions in the application. The answers to the short responses will help us learn about your family’s interests and personalities, so please encourage them to complete these thoughtfully!
Please be sure to double-check all contact information, as we will use this information to contact you regarding your application status. We prefer if you provide a parent’s email address for each application. If a second parent or guardian is volunteering with the child or children, please provide their contact information by carefully following the directions under the “Parent/Guardian & Emergency Contact” section. One parent or guardian is required to volunteer for every two children volunteering.
Please click on the link below to apply. The application will become active on January 1, 2021.
- Monitor your inboxes for communication from us.
A member of the Volunteer Team will be in touch with you regarding your application status on or before March 15, 2021. All new and returning J.O.E.Y. Volunteers are required to attend orientation, so please keep an eye out for our 2021 J.O.E.Y. Volunteer orientation dates to be announced.
Thank you for your interest in the J.O.E.Y. Volunteer program at Zoo Atlanta! Contact Katie Anderson, Supervisor of Youth Volunteers at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Please keep in mind that the J.O.E.Y. Volunteer program has a finite number of openings each year, and if your family is not selected for the program this year, we encourage you to apply again next year.