Frequently Asked Questions
How do I schedule a field trip?
- Register online and print the reservation receipt you receive via email and bring it with you on the day of your visit.
- If you would like to speak with a reservationist, call Education Reservations at 404.624.5822.
How far in advance do field trip reservations need to be made?
- Reservations need to be made at least one day in advance.
How much do field trips cost?
- The cost depends on the state sales tax. The current state sales tax is 8.9% in Georgia.
- A minimum of 10 students is required to receive the field trip rate.
- My school is exempt from the Georgia state sales tax. Cost is $9.99 per student. One chaperone per every 10 paid students is required and admitted FREE. Additional paying adults are $9.99 each.
- My school is required to pay the Georgia state sales tax. Cost is $10.88 per student. One chaperone per every 10 paid students is required and admitted FREE. Additional paying adults are $10.88 each.
- Non-Georgia schools are not state sales tax-exempt.
- Bus drivers are admitted free.
- Zoo Members (adults/students) are admitted FREE. You must have a copy of your Membership card on the day of your visit. Zoo Members do not count as part of the minimum of 10 paying participants required to receive the field trip group rate.
How and when do I pay for my field trip?
- Pay for your field trip the day of your visit.
- Please collect all money prior to arriving at the Zoo Atlanta Admissions booths.
- One payment is required for everyone to receive the field trip group rate. Persons who pay separately from the group will not be able to receive the field trip group rate.
- We request that one lead chaperone take care of the payment for the entire group.
- You may pay by cash, school check or school major credit card.
- During the busy days, it is best to pay by school check. On certain days, there will be a check-only line available, and this will be the fastest and easiest way to get through the Zoo Atlanta Admissions booths.
Is the cost of rides included in the admission price?
- The cost of rides is not included in the field trip admission price; however, if you would like to purchase tickets prior to your visit, please contact 404.624.5822.
- These rides are available weather permitting.
Can we bring lunch into the Zoo?
- You may bring your lunch to the Zoo, but areas to sit and eat may be limited. We recommend students leave lunches on the bus. When it is time to eat, we recommend they return to the buses to pick up lunches and eat in Grant Park at the picnic tables. Picnic tables and other areas in Grant Park are first-come, first-served.
- Straws and lids are not permitted inside the Zoo.
- We also offer several restaurants and snack bars inside the Zoo. (Note that some are seasonal and are not open year-round.)
When is the best day of the week to schedule my field trip?
- Mondays through Wednesdays are the best days to schedule a field trip because the Zoo is generally less crowded on these days.
- The fall and winter months are also best because the Zoo is generally less crowded during these months.
- Afternoons are also less crowded.
How can I find out what education programs are offered for the grade level I teach?
- We offer many types of educational programs for all grade levels. All of our programs are correlated with the Georgia Performance Standards and encourage critical thinking skills and science inquiry through hands-on activities.
- To receive an Education Brochure, please contact our Education Reservations Team at 404.624.5822 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are some Zoo experience tips that can be shared?
- Take advantage of daily activities, including animal feedings, animal encounters, keeper talks, and theater programs. Some activities are weather permitting.
- When you arrive at the Zoo, ask for a Zoo Atlanta map from any Admissions booth. Each map has a list of value-added daily activities taking place in the Zoo.
- Read the graphics at the animal habitats; these provide invaluable information about the animals, their habitats and conservation efforts.
- Review the Field Experience Guide prior to your visit. If you are unable to download the Field Experience Guide, please contact our Education Reservations Team at 404.624.5822.
- Plan your itinerary before you visit to maximize your Zoo experience!
What happens in the event of rain or severe weather on the day of my trip?
- We encourage all visiting groups to maintain their reservation status. If it’s cold or rainy, there are still lots of fun things to see, and the Zoo probably won’t be crowded. The Zoo Weather Packet is a map of indoor or covered Zoo habitats and a packet of activities you can do at the Zoo in any kind of weather!
- However, in the case of severe weather, you may contact Education Reservations at 404.624.5822 to reschedule your field trip.
- It is possible that some animals may not be in their habitats for certain reasons such as severe or inclement weather.
- Zoo Atlanta does not offer rain checks once you have entered the Zoo grounds.
What are the general rules to think about when planning a field trip to the Zoo?
- One adult per 10 students/children is required. We expect students to be monitored at all times.
- Please do not chase or tease the animals.
- Please do not throw or place any items in the habitats.
- Please do not feed the animals; all animals have carefully prepared diets.
How much is parking?
- Parking is FREE.
- Bus drivers are permitted to drop off their groups in the turnaround circle in the Cherokee Parking Lot and should then park in the Boulevard Parking Lot. See our map for further details.
What are the driving directions to the Zoo?
- Review driving directions to Zoo Atlanta.