Clouded Leopard Day
10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Join us for Clouded Leopard Day as we put a spotlight on this well-camouflaged cat.
- Visit Complex Carnivores and challenge yourself to spot Zoo Atlanta’s clouded leopard, Suhana.
- Engage in hands-on activities to learn all about this arboreal beauty.
- Discover how being a conscious consumer helps support clouded leopard conservation.
- Meet a carnivore keeper at a special Keeper T
- Support clouded leopard conservation by purchasing an exclusive Animal Awareness Day tote bag. 100 percent of proceeds directly benefit the Clouded Leopard Project.
Activities are free for Zoo Atlanta Members and children under 3; free with general admission. Check the map for times and locations.
In the Wild…
Listed as Vulnerable by The IUCN Red List, clouded leopards are in peril for many different reasons.
Habitat disturbance, including logging, palm oil plantations and illegal farming of rare trees for wood has negatively impacted the quality of habitat available for clouded leopards and their prey. Poaching for meat, skins and bones has increased substantially as tigers and leopard populations have disappeared. One market in Myanmar has seen a 200 percent increase in clouded leopard parts in just the last two years. Live clouded leopards are also becoming increasingly popular in wildlife trade, as they are collected to be kept as pets or as status symbols for the wealthy.
You can help.
The easiest way to help clouded leopards is to only use products that contain sustainably sourced palm oil. Download Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s free Sustainable Palm Oil App and use it when shopping.