Clouded Leopard Day
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Join us for Clouded Leopard Day as we put a spotlight on this well camouflaged cat.
- Follow Zoo Atlanta on Facebook and Instagram for a Suhana social media takeover!
- Visit Complex Carnivores and challenge yourself to spot Zoo Atlanta’s clouded leopard, Suhana.
- Engage in hands-on activities to learn all about this arboreal beauty.
- Be a conservation hero with the purchase of an Animal Awareness Day tote bag!
- Use provided fabric markers to decorate and make each bag unique.
- All proceeds go to the Zoo’s conservation fund to protect animals in the wild and their habitats.
Activities are free for Zoo Atlanta Members and children under 3; free with general admission. Check the map for times and locations.
Celebrate at home with family-fun activities. Clouded Leopard Day activity guides can be found below:
- Discover the value of camouflage by completing the Candy Camouflage Challenge, or create some beautiful Camouflage Art!
- Discover how being a conscientious consumer helps support clouded leopard conservation. Get the whole family involved with Barcode Bingo!
In the Wild…
Listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN Red List, clouded leopards are in peril for many different reasons.
Habitat disturbance, including logging, palm oil plantations, and illegal farming of rare trees for wood, has negatively impacted the quality of habitat available for clouded leopards and their prey. Poaching for meat, skins, and bones has increased substantially as tigers and leopard populations have disappeared. One market in Myanmar has seen a 200% increase in clouded leopard parts in just the last two years. Live clouded leopards are also becoming increasingly popular in the wildlife trade, as they are collected to be kept as pets or as status symbols for the wealthy.
You can help. The easiest way to help clouded leopards is to only use products that contain sustainably sourced palm oil. Download Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s free Sustainable Palm Oil App and use it when shopping.