Wild Encounter: Rhino
With their distinctive horn and massive size, there’s no mistaking the incredible rhinoceros for any other African savanna resident! Meet Mumbles, Zoo Atlanta’s first southern white rhino, in the all-new Rhino Wild Encounter! During this encounter, a Zoo Educator will introduce you to facts about southern white rhinos and ways to help this remarkable species. Then you’ll meet a Rhino Care Team member who will help you get up-close to feed and touch Mumbles and learn about rhino care at Zoo Atlanta.
We ask all Wild Encounters participants to complete a brief health screening prior to coming to the Zoo for your encounter. Registrants whose answers do not align with our requirements for the health screening will be unable to participate in the encounter; please email email@example.com to reschedule or receive a full refund.
- Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult who has also purchased a Wild Encounter ticket.
- Meet at the rhino habitat bridge 15 minutes before the Wild Encounter.
- Please note that availability is limited for all Wild Encounters.
- Please note that this encounter brings you up-close to an animal in a staff-only area with an Animal Care Team member but does take place in public view.
PARTICIPANT SAFETY POLICIES
- We ask all Wild Encounters participants to view the brief health screening prior to coming to the Zoo for your encounter.
- All participants are required to complete a digital waiver PRIOR to your encounter date.
- Wild Encounters are an optional experience and require a face mask for participants who are 2 years old or above. For the health and safety of Zoo team members, guests, and animals, there are no medical exemptions.
- If you or a member of your party are feeling unwell, please visit us another time.
- Help us promote social distancing by remaining at least six feet away from others who are not part of your party.
- Timed entry tickets are not required for Wild Encounter participants. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the Elephant Wild Encounter.
- Non-Members may pre-purchase admission tickets while registering for the encounter or may purchase tickets upon arrival.
- All Zoo team members will wear a face mask for the duration of the program.
Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m.
*Please see Age Specifications below for full details.
- A ticket is required for all participants 3 years old and up.
- Children 2 years old and under are FREE and may attend, but are not permitted to feed the animals.
- Children 3 to 8 years old must be assisted by parent/guardian while feeding.
- Children 16 years old and under must be accompanied by an adult who has also purchased a Wild Encounter ticket.
- Children 4 years old and under must be carried or held by the hand of an adult at all times.
- Full payment is due upon reservation.
- A digital waiver must be completed by each participant or guardian every time in order to participate.
- Participants 17 years old and under attending without a parent or guardian must complete a digital waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Refunds or reschedules will not be issued for no-shows.
- Cancellations received more than 7 days before the scheduled visit will receive a full refund.
- Reschedule requests received less than 7 days prior to your scheduled program date will incur a 10% reschedule fee, based upon the total cost of your reservation.
- Guests will not receive a refund and reschedules due to rain.
- In the event of extreme or inclement weather conditions, within 15 minutes of the program start time, you will be contacted by Zoo Atlanta and offered a refund (of program cost, only) or the opportunity to reschedule.
- Parking is conveniently located in the lot on Cherokee Avenue and in the new Grant Park Gateway parking facility on Boulevard. Rates will be $3 an hour for a maximum of $12 a day.
- Due to animal safety regulations, guests who have been outside of the United States or Canada within the (10) days prior to the program will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants may bring phones/cameras and are permitted to take pictures of the encounter; however, video recording is not permitted.
- To ensure the safety of our animals and guests while behind the scenes, follow all instructions of keepers and Zoo staff. Participants who are not following instructions will be asked to leave the program and will not receive a refund.
- Strollers and wagons are not allowed in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Participants must wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes. Flip flops, sandals, etc. are not permitted in behind-the-scenes areas.
- Clothes may get dirty during the encounter. Please plan accordingly.
Wild Encounter Gift Certificate
Give the adventure of lifelong learning. Here’s an idea we can promise won’t be re-gifted: give a certificate for one of Zoo Atlanta’s education programs! You may also purchase gift certificates in $25 increments up to $100. Program restrictions apply.