Welcome to Zoo Atlanta’s Geocache Challenge! We have placed two caches on Zoo grounds. The caches can be found close to the main paths. Each cache has been placed with permission of Zoo Atlanta and can only be accessed during normal Zoo hours. For your safety, please do not cross animal barriers or try to enter “employee only” areas, as there have not been any caches placed in those locations; caches are located in public areas only.
What is geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. Geocaching is fun for people of all ages and is family-friendly. For more information about geocaching, check out the website at www.geocaching.com.
How to Play:
- Get coordinates. The coordinates for each cache are listed below.
- What to bring?
- Bring your own hand-held GPS device or smartphone with a GPS App.
- Have a pen or pencil handy to sign the log book!
- Bring treasure to trade. Geocachers love to trade items! The only rule is, if you take something out, replace it with something of your own.
- Hit the Trail! Follow GPS unit to the first geocache or waypoints.
- Found It! When families find each geocache, they will:
- Use the clues given to unlock the cache.
- Sign the log book inside.
- Trade treasure!
- Re-lock and return the cache to the same spot where it was found.
Zoo Atlanta History Cache
Cache Coordinates: N 33° 43.969’ W 084° 22.188’
Lock combination: 2226
Cache contains a flip-book giving you a brief look at Zoo Atlanta’s long history and swag items. Take a look through the book, but make sure to leave it in the cache for others to find.
HINT: TNGBEF GBNQF NAQ YVMNEQF BU ZL
(Letter above equal the letter below, and vice versa)
Conservation Champion Mystery Cache
Cache Coordinates: N 33° 43.862’ W 084° 22.267’
Lock combination: ABCD
To open the lock, geocachers must first solve for ABCD by visiting the following waypoints and finding the corresponding numbers. The answers will be found on the signs displaying the “Quarters for Conservation” logo.
Lock combination locations and questions:
A = Located at N 33° 43.907’ W 084° 22.297’
- Find the number followed by a % symbol. Divide that number by 10. That number corresponds with A.
B = Located at N 33° 43.984’ W 084° 22.243’
- Find the number followed by a % symbol. Divide that number by 10. That number corresponds with B.
CD = Located at N 33° 43.924’ W 084° 22.246’
- Find the number followed by a % symbol.
- Those numbers correspond with C and D.
HINT: XBZBQB FGNGHR
(Letter above equals the letter below, and vice versa)
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at email@example.com.
Available rain or shine. This is a self-guided activity.