Find the answers to the following questions at each animal exhibit. Be sure to read all exhibit signs, as they provide valuable information. Print out the PDF to bring to the Zoo!
Find the answers here!
- Which bird is taller, the flamingo or the kori bustard?
- How much does an ostrich’s egg weigh?
- How many bones does a giraffe have in its neck?
- How do a zebra’s stripes serve as protection from predators?
- What is the lifespan range of an elephant?
- How many muscles do elephants have in their trunks?
- What do elephants use their trunks for?
- What is one alternative to ivory?
- What are four purposes of bird feathers?
- What purpose do the warts on a warthog’s body have?
- How do meerkats intimidate their predators?
- How tall is a baby giraffe when it is born?
- Rhinos are critically endangered because their horns are harvested by poachers. Why are rhino horns in high demand and what are they made of?
- What is the farthest distance from which a lion’s roar can be heard?
- What does the word “duiker” mean?
- What is the term for a granite rock outcrop on a savannah?
Ford African Rain Forest
- What species of gorillas are at Zoo Atlanta?
- What mineral commonly found in cell phones is being aggressively harvested and causing extreme habitat loss for gorillas?
- Where in the Zoo can you recycle old cell phones to help prevent habitat loss for gorillas?
- What is the predominant way used by researchers to tell gorillas apart?
- At what age does a male gorilla’s back turn silver?
The Living Treehouse
- What type of primates are lemurs and what two species does Zoo Atlanta have?
- Which is taller, a Wolf’s guenon or a lemur?
- What is the most endangered monkey species in Africa and why is it endangered?
- What type of otters does Zoo Atlanta have?
- Are otters hand-oriented or mouth-oriented?
- What are two major threats to otter populations?
Naked Mole Rats
- Naked mole rats exhibit the same social behavior as do ants, bees, and wasps. What is this called and what does it mean?
- How do orangutans help forests grow?
- How can Bornean and Sumatran orangutans be told apart?
- What does it mean that animals like orangutans are “arboreal?”
- Is the childhood of an orangutan long or short?
- What is the current conservation status of Sumatran and Bornean orangutans in the wild?
- How can a mature and an immature male orangutan be told apart?
- How does the size of the Komodo dragon compare to other lizards?
- How much can a Komodo dragon eat?
World of Reptiles
- What are the two largest rattlesnake species in Georgia?
- What are two of the most serious threats to frog species in the wild?
- What are three ways scientists and researchers are using to fight the amphibian crisis?
- What is the range of length the reticulated python can reach?
- What is the name of the most ferocious animal in the world and how much forest does this species consume annually?
- Why is it impossible to tell how old a rattlesnake is by counting the segments in its rattle?
- Which animal is commonly called the “raccoon dog?”
- What are the tiny cages sun bears are often kept in called and why are they put in them?
- Where do sun bears get their name?
- Are the chest markings on the sun bear unique or identical to those on other sun bears?
- Of the subspecies of tigers, which three are extinct and what reason do they have in common?
- Do Sumatran tigers live in groups or independently?
- Why are Burmese star tortoises endangered?
- When does a male wreathed hornbill enclose his female mate in a tree cavity?
- Giant pandas are endangered. How many pandas are estimated to remain in the wild?
- Bamboo makes up 99% of the giant pandas’ diet, but the species retains what physical characteristic(s) of a carnivore?
- What is the sixth digit on the panda’s claw called?
- Up to how many bowel movements can a giant panda have a day?
Outback Station and KIDZone
- What species of kangaroo does Zoo Atlanta have?
- For what purpose does a kangaroo need a tail?
- How does the wattled crane exhibit aggressive behavior?
- How many Kunekune pigs were in existence in the 1970s?
- What is a vocalization between two golden lion tamarins in different parts of a habitat called?
- What are the two types of tamarins that Zoo Atlanta has?
- From which island does the Victoria crowned pigeon originate?
- What does the call of an adult female Cereopsis goose sound like?
- How long can an Aldabra tortoise live?
- What sense is not particularly strong in birds?
- What is the largest carnivore on the island of Madagascar?
- Which social carnivore likes to swim?
- How do binturongs help forests grow?